The ISTC is managed by the ISTC Council. Everyone serving on the ISTC Council is a volunteer. They are elected from the membership by Members and Fellows of the ISTC. The Council comprises a Board (President, Treasurer and two other Council members, who all serve as Directors of the company) plus ordinary members of Council.
To find out more about the duties, responsibilities and powers of the Council, Articles of Association.
Download the Council Nomination Form (29kb, Word file)
Memorandum of Association
The following are a precis of the ISTC’s Memorandum of Association:
- To lay down standards of education, training, knowledge and experience, appropriate for the admission of persons to the various grades of membership of ‘The Institute’.
- To institute examinations and to appoint examiners; to co-operate with any other examining/awarding body; and to award certificates and diplomas to those who pass such examinations.
- To institute, establish and promote scholarships, grants, awards and prizes; with the goal of awarding scholarships, when possible.
- To establish or assist in establishing chairs, faculties or departments of scientific and technical communication (or such other title within the objects of The Institute as may be thought fit) at any universities or other seats of learning.
- To organise and promote conferences, meetings etc. on scientific and technical communication.
- To publish information on communicating and maintain a library of publications for ISTC members.
- To establish or assist research into any aspect of communicating.
- To consult, co-operate and collaborate with any persons, associations, societies, institutions or other organisations for the purpose of furthering the objects of The Institute.
- Provide members with information on conditions of service of those professionally engaged in scientific and technical communication.
- When possible, to obtain any Royal Charter, Provisional Order or Act of Parliament or other authority either in the United kingdom or elsewhere to enable The Institute to carry its objects into effect.
Code of Professional Practice
The ISTC Council updated its Code of Professional Practice in July 2019. This details the conduct expected of ISTC members in their professional capacities and dealings. Remember that, as members of the ISTC we are all bound by this Code.