This privacy statement explains ISTC’s data practice and tells you:
- Who collects information from you through this website.
- What information they collect.
- For what purposes they use that information.
- When the information is collected.
- With whom they share that information.
- Your rights in relation to the collection, use, distribution and correction of that information.
- The kind of security procedures that are in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information under the control of ISTC.
If you are not happy, either with the contents of this privacy statement or the practices of ISTC in relation to this statement, you should first contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive acknowledgement of your enquiry or feel that it has not been properly addressed, you should then contact the Office of the Information Commissioner.
Who collects information?
This website is operated by ISTC, the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators. We are a body whose registered office is at Rutland House, Minerva Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6PZ.
We have notified the Office of the Information Commissioner of our processing operations as required by the Data Protection Act and intend fully to comply with the provisions of that Act.
For further information on these matters please contact the Office of the Information Commissioner. The ISTC’s registration number with the ICO is Z6169174.
This website is hosted by 34sp. 34sp will not collect any data from which you personally may be identified from this website.
The ISTC is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
More about the Data Protection Policy.
How does ISTC collect data about me?
You provide some data yourself
Personal information is information that you give us about yourself in order to create your online account and benefit from our services. As such, it may include details such as:
- Your name and address (including an e-mail address)
- A telephone number
- A user name and a password
- Your profession or your employer
- Your date of birth
Much of this information is optional. Where you do provide it, it will enhance your use of the website and our services. Where information is not compulsory, this will be clearly marked.
Surveys and competitions
From time-to-time our site may run a survey or competition. Participation in these surveys or contests is entirely voluntary and you will have a choice whether or not to disclose any information. Full details of the information requested and potential uses and disclosures of that information will be given with the notice of the survey or competition.
We collect some data automatically
We use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site and to gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personal information, only to usage.
If you’re signed in we’ll also know how you use the ISTC. Usage information is information that relates to your use of the website such as which areas of the site you use most or least often, how often you use the website and when. A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s hard drive containing information about the user. Usage of a cookie is not linked to any personal information on our site; it collects only usage information.
Why does ISTC collect this information?
The personal information that we collect helps to:-
- Improve our services and provide a better experience for our members
- Market other relevant ISTC products or services to you. ISTC can directly market to members, students and other contacts by mail and electronic means, provided the members, students and other contacts have given their consent to receiving this information by the relevant opt-in, via marketing preferences.
- Gain an understanding of the demographics of our membership. We will share aggregated usage information within the ISTC. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
Do you share my data with other organisations?
We use your data to improve your experience. Our service means that we keep your data inside the ISTC unless you ask us or give us your permission to share it. ISTC only shares data internally between its membership and managing Council. In all uses we ensure that member, student and affiliate preferences are always respected.
Your data is never sold or made available to a third party.
We may (in appropriate circumstances) use certain other companies to provide services to you, such as a credit card processing company. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personal information for any purposes other than to provide the service to us. The relationship between them and us is regulated by a contract that contains safeguards for your rights.
How long do you keep my data?
Your member and student information will be retained for a period of ten years from date of termination of membership, as this is how long we allow reapplication without having to apply as a new member. If you request we remove your details and then reapply for membership, you will have to reapply as a new member.
Affiliate records will be retained for a period of seven years from date of termination of affiliateship, as they contain the financial records.
ISTC as a data controller maintains its statutory rights to hold data for as long as is required for legitimate purposes.
How can I see what information you have on me?
You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held, collected, stored and used about you, at any time. This is called a Subject Access Request. In most cases you will not be charged for making a request. However, ISTC can refuse or charge for requests that are manifestly unfounded or excessive.
By law you have the following rights:-
- The right to be informed – you can ask what data ISTC collects about you and how we store and use it.
- The right of access – you have the right to know exactly what information is held about you and how it is processed.
- The right of rectification – you are entitled to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. You can email ISTC email@example.com of any changes to your circumstances i.e. address, contact details, email address etc to ensure accurate records are maintained.
- The right to erasure – also known as ‘the right to be forgotten’, this refers to an individual’s right to having their personal data deleted or removed without the need for a specific reason as to why they wish to discontinue.
- The right to restrict processing – your right to block or suppress processing of your personal data.
- The right to data portability – allows you to retain and reuse your personal data for your own purpose.
- The right to object – in certain circumstances, you are entitled to object to your personal data being used.
- Rights of automated decision making and profiling – safeguards to protect individuals against the risk that a potentially damaging decision is made without human intervention.
Right to complain
If you are in any way unsatisfied with the original decision of a Subject Access Request you have the right to complain. Complaints should be made by email, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the following address:
Unit 19, Omega Business Village
Northallerton, DL6 2NJ