The Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC) is the largest UK body representing information development professionals. It promotes better scientific and technical communication by:
- Encouraging professional development
- Sharing best practices and standards
- Providing research resources
- Providing networking opportunities for its members and industry affiliates
- Promoting technical communication as a profession
- Continuing professional development (CPD)
It’s the professional association that can help you through your career – in technical writing, technical illustration, UX writing, scientific writing, content strategy, or communicating scientific or technical information in other ways.
- New websiteWelcome to the new ISTC website. It has taken a little longer than expected to migrate all the content and there are still a few things to tidy up but hopefully you can still find everything you need. A few things to note: We have a new Discussion Forum which hopefully will function better and […]
Join the ISTC
We welcome membership from around the world.
The ISTC’s Members and Fellows currently pay £112 per year (which you can probably claim back on your tax return). There’s an £30 application fee for new members. Junior and Student level members pay less. See: How to Join the ISTC
Be part of our community
Lockdown: We’re running virtual area group meetings. Contact the ISTC office for more information.
What type of membership would suit me best?
Take our quiz: What type of membership would suit me best?
How to join the ISTC
You can join the ISTC if you are interested or involved in technical communication of any kind
What is technical communication?
Are you a technical communicator?
You’ll find descriptions of what a typical day can be like for a technical communicator on our “A day in the life of a technical communicator” web page.
Technical communicators have a variety of different job titles. For example:
- API Documentation Writer
- Communications Manager
- Content Designer
- Content Developer
- Content Engineer
- Content Officer
- Content Strategist
- Digital Content Designer
- Digital Content Manager
- Documentation Engineer
- Documentation Manager
- Information Architect
- Information Designer
- Information Developer
- Knowledge Base Writer
- Knowledge Manager
- Microcopy Writer
- Product Writer
- Programmer Writer
- Publications Manager
- Technical Author
- Technical Communicator
- Technical Editor
- Technical Illustrator
- Technical Writer
- UI Text Writer
- UX Copywriter
- UX Writer
Some technical communicators have more generic job titles, such as Engineer or Developer.
ISTC members come from virtually every industry and area of society within the UK, as well as internationally, who all need to communicate complex or important information effectively.
It’s is what you do that matters, rather than your job title. If you’re communicating technical information to explain and instruct, there’s a good chance you’re a technical communicator. And if you are a technical communicator, we’d love you to be part of the ISTC.
What the ISTC offers you
Professional development and recognition
- Resources and opportunities to develop and diversify skills, and stay up to date with trends and technologies.
- Mentoring schemes
- The UK Technical Communication Awards are a way to recognise your success in creating clear, concise and effective information products.
Communicator professional journal
Communicator is our award-winning quarterly professional journal covering the breadth of technical communications, offering in-depth articles, case studies, book and product reviews.
The ISTC offers opportunities to network, exchange expertise, and stay in touch with the UK technical communication industry – through a range of online groups, local events and a free monthly newsletter, InfoPlus.
The ISTC offers access to discounted essential resources, including British Standards publications and free access to the Oxford Reference Online.
Support the ISTC and its volunteers
Donate to the ISTC
The ISTC is led and run by volunteers. You can make a donation to support the ISTC by using the button below: